The Gundam ASW-G-08 Barbatos Lupus Rex (ガンダムバルバトスルプス
レクス?) is the main Mobile Suit featured in the second half of the second season of Mobile Suit Gundam IRON-BLOODED ORPHANS. It is piloted by Mikazuki Augus.
THE ASW-G-08 Gundam Barbatos Lupus fought a fierce battle against the Hashmal in the vicinity of Chryse, a city on Mars and was so badly damaged that it was sent to the MS Workshop on the Saisei for a major upgrade. Data sampling on Barbatos Lupus control with Hashmal was also conducted during the review. To match the combat data of Mikazuki Augus, which increased its compatibility with the Mobile Suit via the Alaya-Vijnana system, the machine's response speed was increased to the limit of its theoretical value. The movement of the frame's joints has also been finely tuned to match the real feel of the rider. The cockpit hatch of the MS was changed from the top-opening method of its predecessors to a forward-opening method due to Mikazuki's worsening deficiencies.
To more intuitively reflect Mikazuki's fighting style, the arms of the MS have been enlarged and elongated, like those of a beast, and various weapons are mounted on the body. The frame structure of the arms has also been improved and reinforced. The Hashmal's tail parts were transplanted into the MS's back, and through the Alaya-Vijnana system, Mikazuki controls this tail as if it were a limb. Overall, the Gundam Barbatos Lupus Rex is customized for close combat, and its silhouette gives it a more ferocious look than its predecessors. The word 'Rex' means 'king' in Latin, and it's symbolic, as Mikazuki follows Orga Itsuka, whose aspiration is to be "King of Mars."
A sub-arm is stored in each forearm. When deployed, the black portion at the back of the forearm opens and the underarm extends to its full length.
- Alaya-Vijnana system
An organic device system, this old man-machine interface was developed during the Calamity War to maximize the machine's capabilities. Therefore, most Mobile Suits from that era, such as Gundams, are compatible with it. The system has two parts, one part is installed in the MS and the other part is implanted in the spine of the pilot. With this system, the driver can connect to the MS computer and process machine data directly. It also allows the pilot (even the uninstructed) to use an MS for combat without reading the instruction manual, and can make difficult weapons like the Barbatos' Longsword and Smoothbore Pistol much easier to use. The implant in the driver also improves spatial awareness. Declining technical capabilities after the Calamity War, coupled with the use of an incomplete version of the system in outer sphere areas (such as Mars and Jupiter), lead to implant surgery having a low success rate and not can only be performed at a young age, to let the implant fuse as the pilot grows. As the Barbatos' original cockpit was missing, it was fitted with a Mobile Worker's Alaya-Vijnana System interface to enable the system to function. Barbatos' Alaya-Vijnana System can transmit a higher amount of data to the pilot than usual because its limiter has been turned off for Mikazuki's use, so only he can pilot the Gundam without any problems.
- Ultra Large Mace: Developed by Teiwaz's MS workshop for the Gundam Barbatos Lupus Rex, in addition to Mikazuki's fighting style, this heavy weapon also takes battleship combat into account. The telescoping handle helps close the gap with the enemy unit. When not in use, it can be mounted horizontally on the back of the waist.
- Pile Bunker: The tip of the mace and the bottom of its handle are each equipped with a pile bunker.
- Tail Blade: The tail parts of the Hashmal have been transplanted onto the back of the Gundam Barbatos Lupus Rex, and combined with a rare metal blade for better close combat performance. The resulting tail can retract or extend to strike opponents, it is directed by Mikazuki through the Alaya-Vijnana system, and is useful for single or multiple opponent combat, or other adverse combat situations.
- Rex Nail: Due to the "Rex Nail" nails mounted on the fingers, Barbatos Lupus Rex's arms can function as powerful weapons that can pierce through opposing machines. Like the Tail Blade, the Rex Nails and MS Toes are rare metal.
- 200mm Gun: Each forearm contains an integrated 200mm cannon. This weapon is a further development of the Barbatos Lupus firearms.
- Heel Bunker: The Barbatos Lupus Rex is equipped with a Pile Bunker in each heel.
- GR-H01 9.8m Battle Axe: A melee weapon used by the Graze, and which the Barbatos Lupus Rex will temporarily borrow in its final battle.
- Anti-Ship Lance Mace: A lance-shaped mace designed for anti-ship combat and which has a telescoping handle.
The Gundam Barbatos Lupus Rex was first seen in combat during Tekkadan's attack on JPT Trust, a Teiwaz affiliate led by Jasley Donomikols. He easily wiped out the latter group's Mobile Suits, and ended the battle by killing Jasley by destroying his ship's deck with the Ultra Large Mace.
He was later sent to Earth to aid McGillis Fareed and his Gjallarhorn coup, he was instrumental in disabling MS at the organization's headquarters. He then engaged the ASW-G-XX Gundam Vidar in the basement of Gjallarhorn Headquarters. At first, the Gundam Barbatos Lupus Rex had the upper hand over their foe, but they fought on more equal terms when the Gundam Vidar's Alaya-Vijnana E-type was activated. The fight stopped after the intervention of the ASW-G-01 Gundam Bael , and the Gundam Vidar retreated into space.
During the battle between Arianrhod's fleet and McGillis' group, which Tekkadan had allied with, the Barbatos Lupus Rex was kept occupied by the relentless EB-08jjc Reginlaze Julia, according to Rustal Elion's plan. It neutralized any effects the Gundam might have had on the battle. Later, when Tekkadan presented a daring plan to charge into the Arianrhod fleet, the Barbatos Lupus Rex was deployed as a vanguard. He then collided with the Reginlaze Julia again and severed the latter's left arm. However, it did not prevent the Reginlaze Julia from interfering with the Dainsleif's ASW-G-64 Gundam Flauros (Ryusei-Go) firing at the enemy flagship, and thus the attack missed its target.
When Tekkadan's Mars HQ was surrounded by the Arianrhod fleet, the Barbatos Lupus Rex was deployed alongside the group's remaining MS to buy time, so non-combatants could escape through the secret tunnel under the base.
Did you know?
- The Barbatos Lupus Rex's appearance, with its claws and extendable tail, resembles that of a demon, which matches its name.
- In Latin, Lupus means "wolf", and Rex means "king", while Barbatos is derived from the Latin "barbatus" which means bearded. So "Barbatos Lupus Rex" literally means "Bearded King of Wolves" in Latin.
- The unused concept for the final battle, which includes the left shoulder armor of a Reginlaze and the left arm of the 1st Form Barbatos, can be replicated in Gunpla form using parts from the HGIBA (High Grade IRON-BLOODED ARMS ) MS Option Set 9.