The ASW-G-11 Gundam Gusion Rebake (ガンダム・グシオンリベイク?)
is a Mobile Suit featured in the first season of the anime Mobile Suit Gundam IRON-BLOODED ORPHANS and is piloted by Akihiro Altland.
A modified version of the Gundam Gusion after it was confiscated from the Brewers. The modifications were made by Teiwaz engineers (specifically those working with the Turbines) using spare parts from the Gundam Barbatos, and the Alaya-Vijnana system salvaged from a Man Rodi was also installed in its cockpit. With a compatible pilot like Akihiro Altland at the controls, the Alaya-Vijnana system allows the Gundam to display its original performance. While the original Gusion was too heavy for gravity use, the Gusion Rebake has no issues thanks to restoring the Gundam Frame's versatility to perform in any environment. The versatility of the frame can also be seen in how it can handle the Gusion's radical shape change to Gusion Rebake.
Unlike the original Gusion, which relies on its heavy-duty armor and high reactor power for superior close combat capabilities, the Gusion Rebake is now capable of long-range support due to the high-sensitivity sensors installed in its head. The head of the Gusion Rebake has two different modes, a normal mode for close and medium range combat and an aiming mode for long range combat. By mastering both modes, the machine can be used to handle any combat situation. Other cool features of the Gusion Rebake include two hidden underarms in the rear booster pods, and rear skirt armor that can be used as a shield. The underarms are derived from the arms of a Graze, while the pods are created from the Gusion's modified leg armor. The rear skirt armor was previously part of the rear armor of the Gusion and as such has high defensive strength when deployed as a shield.
An organic device system, this old man-machine interface was developed during the Calamity War to maximize the capabilities of the Mobile Suit. Therefore, most MS of that era, such as Gundams, are compatible with it. The system has two parts, one part is installed in the machine and the other part is implanted in the rider's spine. With this system, the pilot can connect to the on-board computer of the MS and directly process the data of this MS. It also allows the pilot (even uninstructed) to use a Mobile Suit for combat without reading the instruction manual. The implant in the driver also improves spatial awareness. The decline in technical capabilities after the Calamity War, coupled with the use of an incomplete version of the system in outer sphere areas (such as Mars and Jupiter), leads to implant surgery having a low success rate and not can only be performed at a young age to let the implant fuse together as the pilot grows. The Alaya-Vijnana system installed on the Gundam Gusion Rebake was salvaged from a Man Rodi, it was not present in its ASW-G-11 Gundam Gusion form. With this system in place, compatible pilots like Akihiro Altland can display the Gundam's original performance, which Kudal Cadel could not do when piloting the Gundam Gusion. Thanks to the system, the pilot can see things impossible with the naked eye in aiming mode, while in normal mode, a feeling similar to the distance of the living body is transmitted to the pilot. The system helps to control the four arms of the machine (two main arms, two sub-arms).
Derived from the arms of the Graze, a sub-arm is stored in each of the booster pods of the backpack. The performance of these weapons is comparable to that of the Gusion Rebake's main weapons and can fire the Graze's 120mm rifle with great accuracy. They can also be used in melee, attacking the enemy with the halberd.
- Aiming Mode
The Gusion Rebake's head can be changed from its normal configuration, Normal Mode, to Aim Mode, the configuration best suited for long-range combat. When transforming into Aim Mode, the top of the head and cheeks slide forward, while the chin moves upward, and as a result, the Gusion Rebake's face is fully covered. In aiming mode, the head's high-sensitivity sensors operate at their maximum capacity. For users of the Alaya-Vijnana system, this mode not only grants them greater visual range than the normal human, but also the ability to view various information, including the flow of electromagnetic waves.
- Shield: Modified from the rear armor of the Gundam Gusion, it is one of the last remnants of the Gusion's days as a heavily armored MS. As such, this large shield has very high defensive capabilities, being able to withstand and even deflect the ASW-G-66 Kimaris' Gungnir thrust at full speed without apparent damage to its surface. The shield is mounted on the left forearm when in use, and when not in use it is mounted on the rear waist, serving as rear skirt armor and providing additional thrusters. The Gusion Rebake Halberd can be stored on the underside of the shield.
- Gusion Rebake Halberd: A battle ax with an extendable handle. When the hilt is fully extended, it has higher attack power when swung, as well as a wider effective range. By retracting the handle, it can be used as a short ax for closer range combat or as a ranged weapon. When not in use, it is stored behind the shield as a short axe.
- 120mm Long Range Rifle: Modified long-range version of the Graze's 120mm rifle, created by Teiwaz engineers, who are with the H. Thanks to the longer barrel and the extra range, its long-range accuracy has been greatly improved . However, its rate of fire is slower than that of the Graze's 120mm rifle.
- Smoothbore Gun: The same weapon used by the Gundam Barbatos. It is a 300mm caliber cannon with a 60mm machine gun on the bottom, although the emphasis has been on power rather than accuracy. Although it is produced for use primarily in the non-gravity environment and space, it seems to work very well when used under gravity. The Gusion Rebake used a pair in their first battle on Earth.
- Gusion Chopper: A hatchet-shaped short weapon that boosts the Mobile Suit's power in close combat. There are two thrusters on the opposite side of the blade, and they can be activated on impact to inflict greater damage. Between the thrusters is a slot that allows the weapon to be mounted on the rear skirt armor when not in use.
- GR-H02 Battle Blade: Obtained from the EB-06j Graze Ground Type during the battle outside of Edmonton, the Battle Blade is a sword-type melee weapon that is developed for ground combat and easy to wield in because of its lightness.
Wanting to honor the death of his younger brother, Masahiro Altland, Akihiro Altland asked Orga Itsuka if he could become the pilot of the Gundam Gusion. By accepting his wish, Orga saved the Gusion from being sold. With the help of the Turbines, the Gusion was transformed into the Gusion Rebake using spare parts from the ASW-G-08 Gundam Barbatos. Akihiro first flew it to assist Mikazuki Augus/Gundam Barbatos against Gaelio Bauduin and his ASW-G-66 Gundam Kimaris outside the Dort settlements. Along with the other MS Tekkadan, the Gusion Rebake later descended on Earth.
On Earth, the Gusion Rebake participated in the battle to defend Millennium Island from Gjallarhorn's assault while Tekkadan escorted Kudelia Aina Bernstein and Togonosuke Makanai to safety. When Tekkadan arrived on the outskirts of Edmonton, the Gusion Rebake and other allied MS guarded the rear for three days as the remaining members of the group attempted to enter the heavily guarded town by Gjallarhorn forces. In a final attempt to enter the city, the Gusion Rebake and other MS went on the offensive and attacked Gjallarhorn's Mobile Suit teams, taking them by surprise.
Reinforcements from Gjallarhorn later arrived in the form of the Graze Ein and the
Gundam Kimaris Trooper, and while the other MS clashed with the two new enemy units, the Gusion Rebake pursued the Graze Ground Types who had moved in to support Gjallarhorn's Mobile Workers guarding the town. When the Graze Ein rushed into the city to kill Kudelia, the Gusion Rebake couldn't stop him as he was too busy fighting the Graze Ground Types. The Gusion Rebake managed to defeat all of the Graze Ground Types single-handedly, but was heavily damaged afterwards.
After the Battle of Edmonton, the Gusion Rebake fought in many battles for Tekkadan and suffered severe damage. It was then sent to the Saisei's MS workshop to receive an overhaul alongside the Gundam Barbatos, and was upgraded to Gundam Gusion Rebake Full City.
Did you know?
- The term "Rebake" refers to cooking a food cooked a second time. For unclear reasons, the designer of the Gusion Rebake used the term to refer to the redesign of the Gusion into its new form.
- Gusion is the 11th demon of the Ars Goetia. He is a strong Grand Duke of Hell, and rules over forty legions of demons. He recounts all things past, present and future, gives meaning to all questions put to him, reconciles friends, and gives honor and dignity. He is represented as a baboon or according to some, in the form of a cynocephalus.
- The aim mode of the Gusion Rebake is similar in function to the Sniper mode of the GN-002 Gundam Dynames.