The GAT-X105E Strike Noir Gundam is a Mobile Suit introduced in OVAs
Mobile Suit Gundam CE 73: Stargazer. It is piloted by Sven Cal Bayang.
The Strike Noir was the GAT-X105E Strike E equipped with the AQM/E-X09S Noir Striker. Based on the AQM/E-M1 Integrated Weapons Striker Pack (IWSP), the Noir Striker retained the design philosophy of being able to handle any combat situation, and was equipped with a variety of weapons for long, medium and short range engagements. He was, however, specialized in close combat. Consequently, the Strike Noir was rarely deployed alone and often fought in groups with the GAT-X1022 Blu Duel Gundam and GAT-X103AP Verde Buster Gundam, the former excelling at close range and the latter at long range.
Thanks to the development of high-capacity power packs, the Noir Striker was also protected by Phase Shift armor. However, with the productivity of Phase Shift Armor material still low, the number of fully completed Noir Strikers is estimated to be less than double digits. Moreover, as the Noir Striker, like its predecessor, required a skilled pilot to master, there was no record of its supply to regular units. It has been speculated that an undetermined number of these were issued to expanded pilots, but details are unclear.
- Striker Pack System
The Strike Noir could disassemble the Noir Striker and mount other Striker Packs as needed. This ability was demonstrated in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED CE 73 Δ Astray, when the Strike Noir was heavily damaged by the GSF-YAM01 Δ Astray and had to equip the Striker AQM/E-M1 IWSP used by a GAT-01A2R 105 Slaughter Dagger.
- Power Extender
Developed by Morgenröte, the power extender, as its name suggests, is a power enhancement system that extends the battery life of the Mobile Suit. The dark active color of Strike Noir's Phase Shift armor is a side effect of the power extender, which changes the active color of the armor, similar to MBF-02 Strike Rouge.
- Variable Phase Shift Armor
A new version of the Phase Shift armor with greater energy efficiency. The tension applied to the armor can be adjusted, which changes the strength and color of the armor to suit the needs of the MS and its pilot. These parameters may change automatically if programmed in advance. The Strike E's Variable Phase Shift armor changes color depending on which Striker Pack it is equipped with, but this only applies to the Noir Striker and Another Trial Striker Packs.
- EQS1358 & EQS1358T Rocket Anchor
A rocket-propelled anchor of the model EQS1358 is mounted in each hand, as well as in the front and back of each sole, six in total. These
- M2M5 "Todesschrecken" 12.5mm Automatic CIWS: A pair of shell-firing weapons are integrated into the head. Compared to its predecessor, the "Igelstellung", the caliber of the "Todesschrecken" has been significantly reduced due to its role as an anti-personnel weapon and as a weapon for light vehicles, with priority given to ammunition capacity
- M8F-SB1 Beam Rifle Shorty: A shorter, more compact version of a full-sized beam rifle. The Short Beam Rifle is essentially an MS scale handgun. It was designed to maximize maneuverability in close combat. However, as the barrel length, critical for beam convergence and direction, has been massively reduced, its effective range has been reduced by 15% compared to the full-size model. The Strike Noir sports a pair of these weapons on its side skirt.
- MR-Q10 "Fragarach" Beam Blade: A large anti-ship sword. In addition to the physical blade, it has a beam blade, making it effective even against Phase Shift armor. A pair of swords have been mounted on the Black Striker. Its basic structure resembles the MR-Q17X "Griffon 2" blade used by the ZGMF-X88S Gaia Gundam, suggesting a design connection.
- MAU-M3E4 Twin Linear Gun: A development of the MAU-M3 series linear guns used by the TS-MA4F Exus, which featured exceptional reliability and value for money. The MAU-M3E4 specialized in close combat and prioritized short-range killing power, rate of fire, and energy saving over long-range performance. Its projectiles therefore had a high initial speed. A pair of these weapons are mounted on the Black Striker.
- 57mm High-Energy Beam Rifle w/ 175mm Grenade Launcher: Originally developed for the GAT-X102 Duel Gundam , this is the oldest directed energy weapon model in the OMNI Enforcer. Used by the pilot of ZAFT Yzak Joule, this weapon was very appreciated by the OMNI and ZAFT. In particular, its ability to fire both beams and grenades highly appreciated by experienced pilots. That is why, despite being a prototype, the number of parts produced by this weapon rivaled that of mass production weapons. A pair of this ray gun was used by the Strike Noir on some missions.
After the first Alliance-PLANT war, as part of the MS "Actaeon Project" development plan, at least one more GAT-X105 Strike Gundam was re-manufactured. The unit was assigned to Phantom Pain pilot Sven Cal Bayang and was later transformed into the GAT-X105E Strike E. Sven's Strike E was usually equipped with the Noir Striker, becoming the GAT-X105E Strike Noir Gundam, and worked often as part of a team consisting of Mudie Holcroft and his GAT-X1022 Blu Duel Gundam, as well as Shams Couza and his GAT-X103AP Verde Buster Gundam.
In CE 73, the Strike Noir, along with the Blu Duel and the Verde Buster, defended an Earth Alliance base against the loyalist guerrillas of Patrick Zala that emerged following the "Break The World" incident. Sven and his Strike Noir then oversaw a squad of GAT-01A2R 105 Slaughter Daggers during the destruction of a Coordinator refugee camp where
some of the terrorists were reportedly trained.
Later, Sven, aboard the Strike Noir, engaged in a brief duel with Martian Coordinator Ergnes Brahe aboard the GSF-YAM01 Δ Astray, who then escaped aboard his ship, the Acidalium. Soon after, when Orb signed a treaty with the Alliance, Sven was assigned to lead a squad of five Slaughter Daggers piloted by Orb soldiers in pursuit of the Acidalium. During the battle, the Strike Noir's striker pack was damaged by Δ Astray and Sven switched to the IWSP (which was used by one of the Orb pilots' Slaughter Daggers) to continue the fight. He then defeated Δ Astray.
Sven and his Strike Noir later returned to his Phantom Pain squad and escorted the Bonaparte delivering the GFAS-X1 Destroy Gundam to Neo Roanoke's unit. They were attacked along the way, and while the Blu Duel was defeated and its pilot killed, the attacking ZAFT force was annihilated and the Bonaparte arrived at their destination.
Afterwards, the rest of Sven's squad was tasked with attacking the Deep Space Survey and Development Organization (DSSD) space station, in order to capture the GSX-401FW Stargazer Gundam AI unit. During the battle, Sven is caught off guard by the Stargazer's unorthodox abilities, and the Strike Noir's left arm is severed, along with other lesser damage. Stargazer pilot Selene McGriff then grabbed the Strike Noir and used the DSSD station's propulsion laser to launch the two MSs away from the battlefield. They were transported to Venus, where Selene rescued Sven and transferred the rest of the Strike Noir's energy to the Stargazer. The heavily damaged Strike Noir was abandoned while the Stargazer returned to Earth.
Did you know?
- The Strike Noir is the second Strike-derived unit to have a color name, "noir" being the French word for black, and the first being the MBF-02 Strike Rouge.
- The concept of the Strike Noir's rocket anchors comes from the Mobile Suit Destiny MSV GAT-SO2R N Dagger N, though their in-universe connection is unclear.
- According to the Master Grade kit instruction manual, the tip of the Beam Blade "Fragarach 3" has a "PS dot" on it, meaning it was equipped with Phase Shift armor. However, this is not mentioned in the description of the weapon in the manual, and the details are unclear.