The GAT-X131 Calamity Gundam is a Mobile Suit introduced in the Mobile anime
Follows Gundam SEED. It is controlled by the “Biological CPU” Orga Sabnak.
One of three second generation GAT-X machines, the Calamity is built on the X100 series frame and inherits the artillery attack concept from the GAT-X103 Buster Gundam. It can also be used to provide support from the rear and is armed with several powerful range weapons, but it completely lacks close combat weapons. Its armament consists of two rear-mounted high-energy long-range cannons, a chest-mounted multi-phase energy cannon, a shield with a 2-barrel ram cannon attached to the left arm, and of a hand-carried plasma sabot bazooka.
Thanks to its Trans-Phase armor, a more energy efficient form than Phase Shift armor, the Calamity has a longer uptime than first generation GAT-X machines, and also has more energy for its beam weapons, power hungry. With the powerful thrusters installed around the body, it can fly over deserts or bodies of water easily. However, as it has no true flight capability in the atmosphere, it must often mount the GAT-X370 Raider Gundam when the latter is in MA mode, to follow its flight-capable sister units when moving to the combat zone. In this configuration, the Calamity uses the Raider just as the MS ZAFT uses the Guul. The Calamity's control system is very complex and its custom OS can only be used by a "Biological CPU".
- Trans-Phase Armor
A new version of Phase Shift armor (PS armor), Trans-Phase armor is a two-layer armor system with the PS armor placed behind the normal armor. Internal PS armor only activates when normal armor is pierced, significantly reducing power consumption and allowing the equipped machine to have a longer uptime as well as reserve more power for his weapons. Additionally, MS equipped with Trans-Phase armor does not change color when their armor is activated, unlike the original PS armor.
- "Todesblock" 337mm Plasma-Sabot Bazooka: Hand-held weapon, based on shells. It has high firepower and causes severe damage and shock around the impact zone.
- "Schlag" 125mm High-Energy Long-Range Beam Cannon: A pair of shoulder-mounted linear cannons. They have an excellent rate of fire and destructive power, and are capable of easily destroying an enemy force from a distance.
- "Scylla" 580mm Multi-Phase Energy Cannon: A high-powered cannon mounted in the Calamity's upper torso. Based on the same cannon incorporated into the GAT-X303 Aegis, it can inflict serious destruction on anything in its path. It can also be used to discourage enemy units from closing in and is often used in conjunction with the Calamity's other weapons for a purely destructive barrage.
- Anti-beam Shield: Attached to the left forearm and/or wearable, the shield is made of materials derived from the exterior armor of starships like the Laurasia class. As a result, it is light but super durable. Additionally, its surface has been treated with an anti-beam coating and the tip can be used as a weapon during close combat.
- "Kaefer Zwei" 2-barrel 115mm Ram Cannon: A pair of shield-mounted beam cannons, they have an excellent rate of fire.
In mid CE71, the Terran Alliance collaborated with Muruta Azrael's Azrael conglomerate to construct three second generation GAT-X Mobile Suits. One of them was the GAT-X131 Calamity Gundam, piloted by the "Biological CPU" Orga Sabnak. The Calamity was first used in the conquest of the neutral nation Orb Union. During the Battle of Orb, the Calamity Gundam destroyed numerous battleships and MBF-M1 M1 Astrays. He also briefly engaged the GAT-X105+AQM/E-X01 Aile Strike Gundam (the GAT-X105+AQM/E-YM1 Perfect Strike Gundam in the HD remaster), before battling the ZGMF-X10A Freedom Gundam.
Working together with the GAT-X370 Raider Gundam and GAT-X252 Forbidden Gundam, the trio nearly overwhelmed the Freedom before being interrupted by the
ZGMF-X09A Justice Gundam. The trio fought against the Freedom and the Justice until their biological CPUs began to fight among themselves, and they were eventually forced to retreat when the effects of the drugs they were taking wore off. Once their medications and machines were restocked, the trio headed out again the next day. They clashed with Freedom and Justice again, but withdrew once they ran out of energy. On the final day of the battle, the trio tried but failed to stop the Izumo Kusanagi-class battleship Freedom and Justice from escaping into space.
Subsequently, the trio was sent into space and assigned to the Cl assault ship.
asse Archangel, Dominion, and fought with the Three Ship Alliance. During the Battle of Mendel, the Calamity was ordered to retrieve an escape pod carrying Flay Allstar, who had data on the N-Jammer Canceller with her. Next, the Calamity took part in the Battle of Boaz, where it shot down many ZAFT machines including the new one, the ZGMF-600 GuAIZ. During the Second Battle of Jachin Due, the final battle of the war, the Calamity was ultimately destroyed by the Justice Gundam's METEOR.
A close combat variant of the Calamity, known as the GAT-X133 Sword Calamity, was also created and deployed during the war.
Did you know?
- The Calamity's head crest displays the text "SEI X-131". "Sei" means "Six" in Italian and is likely a reference to the fact that the machine is the sixth GAT-X unit developed by the Earth Alliance.
- In earlier design designs, the Calamity was originally intended to be a large scale "mobile fortress" MS unit, however, it was rejected by Bandai as it could affect the storyline as well as kit sales since SEED was a newer franchise at the time. Following the generally positive reception of the series in general, the mobile fortress concept was later applied to the GFAS-X1 Destroy Gundam in SEED Destiny.