The GAT-X207 Blitz Gundam is a Mobile Suit introduced in the Mobile Suit Gundam SEED series . Its pilot is Nicol Amalfi.
The GAT-X207 Blitz Gundam was designed to conduct surprise attacks behind enemy lines. It is the only unit among the five prototypes created under the Alliance's Project G to use the X200 series chassis, designed to support special systems. In his case, it's the Mirage Colloid stealth system that renders the Blitz invisible to both sensors and the naked eye. The Mobile Suit is painted mostly black to enhance the effectiveness of the stealth system, and is equipped with other systems to ensure the quiet operation of internal mechanisms and systems, as well as to control heat dissipation during cloaking. Like the other four units, the Blitz is also equipped with a Phase Shift armor system, but unlike them, it does not have built-in weaponry like the CIWS. Its armament is fully mounted on the arms and consists of a claw and an offensive shield system, which allows the mounting of melee weapons and ranged weapons, beam or not.
- Mirage Colloid Stealth System
The Blitz is the first machine to use the Mirage Colloid stealth system. In this system, a powerful magnetic field is used to hold in place microscopic prisms capable of blocking infrared emissions and bending visible light and radio waves around an object (eg, a Mobile Suit). However, due to the high power consumption of the system, it can only be activated for 80 minutes. Additionally, since Phase Shift is disabled while Mirage Colloid is active, the Blitz is very vulnerable in its stealth state if an enemy is able to spot its location.
- Phase Shift Armor
Like all Project G machines, the Blitz is equipped with phase shift armor called Phase Shift. When this armor is activated, the color of the Blitz changes from light gray to black with hints of red. Phase Shift armor makes the Buster immune to physical attacks such as bullets, sword slashes, missiles, etc. However, the Phase Shift continually drains battery power, reducing the MS's stamina in combat, and consumes additional power when hit.
- Piercer Lock "Gleipnir": Mounted on the left forearm, the "Gleipnir" is a rocket-propelled grappling hook that can be fired to pierce or grab an enemy unit, then retrieved through the cable. A similar weapon is mounted on the GAT-X105+AQM/E-X02 Sword Strike Gundam in the form of a "Panzer Eisen" rocket anchor.
"Trikeros" Offensive Shield System: Mounted on the right arm, the "Trikeros" serves as the main weapon and shield of the Blitz and includes multiple weapons. It allows the MS to switch quickly from offensive to defensive, and gives him quick access to ranged and melee weapons. The downside is that losing the shield deprives the Blitz of most of its weapons. The shield has armor Phase Shift and an anti-beam coating for defense against beam weapons.
- 50mm High-energy Beam Rifle: for ranged combat the Trikeros is equipped with this high energy Beam Rifle.
- "Lancer Dart" Hypervelocity Kinetic Energy Penetrator: The Blitz has three stakes that can be fired or used for close combat. These rocket-propelled arrows can penetrate armor and explode upon impact. The Blitz can also use them as a combat spear.
- Beam Saber: Mounted on the Trikeros it is the main close combat weapon of the Blitz.
- GAT-X207 Blitz Gundam (Atmospheric Equipment): Appearing in the manga "Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Re:", it is the Blitz Gundam equipped with an atmospheric flight module similar to that used by the GAT-X102 Duel Gundam (Atmospheric Equipment). Although the Blitz's flight module also uses parts from the AMF-101 DINN, unlike the Duel's, it is armed with special underwings that can transform into a large claw. The large claw, like that of the Gundam Astray Gold Frame Amatsu "Maga no Ikutachi", can drain battery power from an enemy Mobile Suit caught in its hand using Mirage Colloid Technology.
- GAT-X207 Blitz Gundam (Lily Thevalley Custom): A copy of the original Blitz Gundam, the Blitz Gundam (Lily Thevalley Custom) however comes equipped with the latest Variable Phase Shift Armor (VPS) instead of the base Phase Shift. The unique colors of the machine are obtained by customizing the voltage of the VPS armor. Other aspects of the Gundam are no different than the original Blitz, and similarly its VPS armor cannot function while the Mirage Colloid stealth system is active.
The Blitz Gundam is one of five Mobile Suits created by the Earth Alliance as part of Project G during the First Alliance-PLANT War. Along with the other four units, it was secretly stored in the Orb Union-controlled space colony Heliopolis.
On January 25, 71, the Blitz, along with three other MSs from the project, the GAT-X102 Duel Gundam , GAT-X103 Buster Gundam , and GAT-X303 Aegis Gundam , were flown by ZAFT, and Nicol Amalfi became its designated pilot. . Along with his comrades, Nicol used his machine to pursue the Archangel in order to capture Project G's latest machine, the GAT-X105 Strike Gundam .
During Archangel's stay on the Eurasian Federation-controlled Asteroid Artemis, Nicol used the Blitz's Mirage Colloid System to infiltrate the asteroid's base, successfully bypassing the "Umbrella of Artemis" and severely damaging the facility. The Blitz then participated in the battle in orbit against the Earth Alliance's 8th Space Fleet with the other three stolen Gundams, destroying several Moebius TS-MA2 units and a Nelson-class battleship.
In March, the Blitz is sent to Earth with the Aegis and assigned to Team Zala. The team then launches an attack against the Archangel in the third Equatorial Skirmish, during which the Blitz is ejected from its Guul flight platform by the GAT-X105+AQM/E-X01 Aile Strike Gundam.
In mid-April, the Blitz lost its right arm in combat with the GAT-X105+AQM/E-X02 Sword Strike Gundam during the battle near Orb. Despite the damage, Nicol has him charge towards the Sword Strike to protect the Aegis, piloted by his friend Asran Zala. However, he ran into the Sword Strike's anti-ship sword, killing Nicol, and the Blitz exploded soon after.
Orb later retrieved the Blitz's severed right arm and used it in the construction of the MBF-P01-ReAMATU Gundam Astray Gold Frame Amatsu, giving him use of the Mirage Colloid System, in addition to the Trikeros Offensive Shield System. After the war, as part of the MS "Actaeon Project" development plan, another Blitz Gundam was rebuilt and flown by Phantom Pain pilot Dana Snip. This unit was later modified into the GAT-X207SR Nero Blitz Gundam.
Did you know?
- The name of the Gundam, Blitz, comes from German, Blitz being translated from German as "lightning". This translation refers directly to the master ability of the Blitz, the Mirage colloid, which can perform lightning attacks.