The MS-18E Kämpfer (ケンプファー Kenpufā?) is an Assault Mobile Suit
heavy introduced in Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 OVAs : War in the Pocket. It was piloted by Mikhail Kaminsky of Zeon's Cyclops team during the One Year War.
The "E" in the MS-18E Kämpfer model number was an abbreviation of the German word "Einhauen," which translates to "One strike" and sums up the machine's role as a fast assault unit, which was designed to strike fast, cause massive damage with its varied weapon loadout, and perform a quick evasion. The Kämpfer has a very purposeful design, never meant to function outside of its role. In this role it is an exceptional unit, rivaling the Federation RX series in firepower and speed. It is equipped with numerous thrusters and verniers to achieve great maneuverability. Conversely, the large number of thrusters resulted in higher fuel consumption, which limited its operating time.
The Kämpfer's design opted for minimal armour, even removing the hip-mounted skirt armor found on most MSs. The choice of conventional weapons based on shells rather than beam weapons was made to reduce consumption on its reactor and the resulting drop in speed. Weapon racks were designed to eject from the unit as they are used, reducing dead weight. The Kämpfer is intended for use by special forces, and was built to be easily disassembled and reassembled into blocks, aiding its infiltration behind enemy lines.
- Weapon Racks
Mounted at multiple points on the Kämpfer, these are gun racks that are used to mount various weapons, when not in use, and can be ejected when in use.
- Chobam Armor
Original equipment set up in SD Gundam BB Senshi. It is designed to fight against the RX-78NT-1FA Gundam NT-1 FA, and is in the form of unique armor covering the head and chest.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun: An uncommon feature on Zeon MS, the Kämpfer has two Vulcan Guns in the head similar to Federation MS. These ranged weapons have a high rate of fire but little impact power, and cannot damage the thick armor of a Mobile Suit, although it can damage lightly armored areas such as sensors. They are ideal for shooting down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, attack vehicles, etc.
- Beam Saber: The beam saber, or beam saber, is a small device held in the hands of the MS when deployed and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-like I-Field (via the manipulation of electromagnetic fields), then fills this I-Field shell with superheated Minovsky particle plasma to produce an efficient cutting blade. This equipment was developed from data collected during clashes with the RX-78-2 Gundam. The Kämpfer has two beam sabers, one stored in each thigh.
- ZUX-197 Jagdgewehr 192mm Shotgun: Specially designed for Assault MS, this weapon is the same type used by the MS-08TX Efreet. It has a 9 round capacity with known ammunition including slugshot, luna titanium 00 buckshot, and MS-use birdshot (BB shot). It can be charged by pumping, or automatically by an electrical mechanism. The Kämpfer is capable of carrying two such rifles, one stored on the rear waist armor, while the other is held in the hands.
- Giant Bazooka: The same Giant Bazooka used by the MS-09R-2 Rick Dom II. Compared to the original giant bazooka, the bazooka's shape and design have been redesigned, greatly improving its attack power. The Kämpfer can be equipped with two giant bazookas, and they are stored on its back when not in use.
- Strum Faust: A single-use projectile weapon similar to a simplified bazooka/rocket launcher.
- Prototype Large Beam Rifle: An experimental beam weapon developed on Axis after the One Year War, its effective firing range is 1.8 times that of an ordinary beam rifle. As it is powered by its own built-in generator, it can be maneuvered by Zaku-type MS. The generator however only has enough power for five shots. The weapon appears in Mobile Suit Gundam : Char's Deleted Affair : Portrait Of Young Comet.
- Chain Mine: The chain mine consists of a number of disc-shaped mines linked together by a flexible cable. Each mine has magnetic claws on its underside, allowing it to be attached to objects. The Chain Mine can be thrown like grenades one at a time, laid on the ground or attached to a building like a mine, or (more destructively) attached to a single enemy and triggered - this method of attack was used by the Kämpfer against the Gundam NT-1 prototype. It failed to destroy the NT-1, but it did inflict heavy damage on the NT-1's Chobam armor. The chain mine was used in UC 0096 as a weapon by Neo Zeon's AMX-101E Schuzrum-Galluss. A similar but larger version was featured on the Terran Federation's RX-78GP03 Gundam "Dendrobium" as a demolition line.
- Heat Hawk: A hatchet type weapon for close combat. The blade can glow a red glow from heat high enough to melt an MS's armor. Many other machines were also equipped with this weapon.
- Kämpfer High Mobility Type
Appearing in the "Mobile Suit Gundam UC ENGAGE" game, it is a custom Kämpfer piloted by Zeon Remnants terrorist Michel Kano in UC0082. Compared to the original Kämpfer, which was already a high mobility unit, the Kämpfer High Mobility Type achieved even higher mobility through the installation of three Stürm Booster units developed by Anaheim Electronics for the GP project. In addition to the Stürm Booster units, the Kämpfer High Mobility Type also used many prototypes from the GP project, and the internal parts of the machine were also completely overhauled. Due to the use of several parts of Project GP, it was strongly suspected that Anaheim Electronics was linked to the terrorist group. Armed with the same beam rifle, MRB-110 as the MS-14Fs Gelgoog Marine Commander Type, the Kämpfer High Mobility Type was destroyed in combat along with the RX-78 MS00Z Engage Zero, piloted by Peche Montagne, a former friend of Michel.
- MS-18F Kämpfer Beam Weapon Type
A variant of the Kämpfer designed to use beam weapons, the Type F used a modified version of the MS-14Jg Gelgoog Jäger beam machine gun. The MS-18F Kämpfer Beam Weapon Type, also known as Kämpfer Type F, is a variant of the MS-18E Kämpfer. It is only mentioned in the instruction manual of the "1/144 MS-18E Kampfer" model kit.
In the few days and weeks that remained before the end of the Year-Long War, the Principality of Zeon released several new Mobile Suit prototypes. One of these new units was known only as the prototype YMS-18 Kämpfer, which Zeon engineers soon began producing different variants and redesigns, to create custom units intended to excel in mission roles. specific. One of the variants created was the MS-18E Kämpfer.
Despite the drawbacks of limited armor and high fuel consumption, the Kämpfer was still an incredible MS. Due to its late wartime introduction, only a few units were produced. A single Kämpfer was deployed by Zeon's Cyclops team during their infiltration into Ribo, neutral Republic of Riah on Side 6 on December 20, UC0079. This unit, piloted by an inebriated Mikhail Kaminsky, destroyed Assault Carrier Gray Phantom's entire Scarlet Team Mobile Suit squadron. He then faces his primary target, the Terran Federation's RX-78NT-1 Gundam NT-1. Despite completely destroying the NT-1 Alex's chobam armor and damaging the Gundam, the Kämpfer failed to disable it and fell to the Gundam's 90mm Gatling forearm.
In Gundam Legacy, a single Kämpfer served as the control unit for the "Silver Lance" weapon system for Operation Silver Lance, a plot against the Republic of Zeon in UC0084. It was piloted by Lilia Flaubert of Zeon Remnant.
Did you know?
- "Kämpfer" is the German word for "fighter" or "warrior".
- The concept of an Assault Mobile Suit was reused in Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory, when Mika Akitaka designed the AGX-04 Gerbera Tetra, as an attempt by Anaheim Electronics to create an Assault MS.