The MS-21C Dra-C is a mass-produced Mobile Suit presented for the first
times in the Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory OVA. It reappeared in the movie Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation III - Love Is the Pulse of the Stars in a gray color scheme used by Axis Zeon, then in Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, where it is purple in color and used by the sleeves
A high-speed space assault Mobile Suit developed by the remnant Zeon, known as the Delaz Fleet, to augment their combat strength, it is often used for patrol, reconnaissance, and sabotage missions. Reflecting the fleet's lack of resources, the Dra-C is assembled primarily using body parts from the MS-06F-2 Zaku II F2 Type, and parts from the space fighter-bomber Gattle. These parts come from damaged machines as well as abandoned stocks. His head is based on the Zaku II F2 Type, but has a wider range of motion from his monoeye to accommodate super high speed combat.
The machine's straight-line acceleration capabilities are extremely high and possess much better mobility than space-use fighter jets. However, compared to a standard MS, it has poor mobility due to its lower AMBAC capabilities. This is because of the two propellant tanks instead of the legs, even though these tanks can serve as AMBAC units. The tanks are modified Gattle parts and have thrusters at the bottom to provide some degree of maneuverability and spinning ability. The Dra-C backpack is a modified form of the Gattle main engines, some parts are removed and new stabilizers added to the sides. In addition, the fixed nozzles of the rudder thruster are replaced by larger mobile nozzles. To compensate for the low mobility of the machine, due to the lack of legs, multi-purpose thrusters from spaceships for professional use are mounted on the shoulders.
On the other hand, leg removal is not without its advantages. In a Mobile Suit, the leg parts have the highest failure rate, as well as the most power consumption. Thus, the legless design of the Dra-C gave it excellent maintainability and operational costs. The Dra-C is lightly armed with a 40mm Vulcan cannon mounted in place of the right forearm and a shield with a beam saber mounted on the left forearm. In the late 90s, the Dra-Cs deployed by Neo Zeon remnants, the Sleeves, were equipped with a 6-barreled Gatling gun in place of the Vulcan cannon. This new weapon also provides better sensors, improving the range of the machine's sensors.
- Shield: Crafted from battleship, the Dra-C's shield has a Beam Saber for close combat. The shield also includes a small generator, an e-cap system, and a cooling unit since the machine's own generator is insufficient to power beam-type weaponry.
- Beam Saber: The beam saber emits high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-like I-field (via manipulation of electromagnetic fields), then fills this I-field shell with plasma of particles of Minovsky overheated to produce an efficient cutting blade. The Dra-C is equipped with a beam saber with its hilt attached below its shield.
- 3-barrel 40mm Vulcan Gun: The Dra-C's right forearm is replaced with a 3-barrel 40mm Vulcan Gun, which is unique to the Dra-C because Vulcans are not usually mounted as cannons . Its low caliber isn't powerful enough to do enough damage to MS, but it can damage an MS's sensors, or lightly armored targets.
- Gatling Gun: Dra-Cs deployed by Neo Zeon remnants, the Sleeves, in late UC0090s are equipped with a more powerful 6-barrel Gatling gun in place of the 40mm Vulcan cannon. The detection system of this weapon incorporates technologies developed at Axis, and when linked to the Dra-C system can greatly improve the range of the MS sensors. Therefore, it is best suited for patrol and reconnaissance missions.
After the end of the Year-Long War, many of the remnants of Zeon withdrew from the Earth Sphere and went into hiding. Delaz's fleet was one such remnant and during his exile he developed the Dra-C in an attempt to bolster his depleted combat strength. The Dra-C was one of several Mobile Suits deployed by the Delaz fleet during Operation Stardust in UC0083.
Some Dra-Cs were recovered by the Axis fleet when the Delaz fleet was defeated by Earth Federation forces at the end of the operation. The Axis fleet then deployed the Dra-C, now recolored to a gray color scheme, during the Gryps conflict in the late UC0080s.
In UC 0096, several Dra-Cs were deployed by the Sleeves to defend the Palau asteroid from attacking Federation forces. These Dra-Cs have been repainted in a new color scheme, given the distinctive markings found on many of the Sleeves' MSs, as well as a more powerful Gatling gun. However, these obsolete machines were no match for the more modern Federation MS.
Did you know?
- The HGUC Dra-C Gunpla comes with an optional standard right forearm and a hand held Gatling gun as bonus parts. Although slightly different, the Gatling gun also serves as a nod to the Sleeves setup, which has a fixed Gatling gun.