The MSA-003 Nemo (aka RS-81 Nemo) is a Mobile Suit introduced in the anime
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. His design was later updated for the light Novel/OVA Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.
Based on the Terran Federation Forces RMS-179 GM II, the MSA-003 Nemo is a mass-production, multi-purpose Mobile Suit developed by Anaheim Electronics for the AEUG. As Anaheim Electronics had purchased Zeonic Corps which worked for the Principality of Zeon, its MS technology has Zeon influences and as a result, the Nemo has a mixture of both Zeonic and Federation technologies.
Like most other Mobile Suits created during the Gryps War, the Nemo has an internal mobile frame. Its movable frame is of a new design and reflects data obtained by Anaheim Electronics from the development of the RMS-099 Rick Dias and MSN-00100 Hyaku Shiki. Thanks to this movable frame, the Nemo has great versatility and can operate in different environments such as zero gravity, tropical regions and cold climates. In addition, the movable frame of its legs allows great mobility regardless of the environment, and due to the consideration of downhill operations on Earth, it has a very flexible structure with excellent resistance to drops and shocks. Nemo's thruster layout is designed using the RGM-79SP GM Sniper II as a reference and this is due to the fact that some of Nemo's development staff worked on it during the One Year War.
Compared to the titanium alloy ceramic composite of the GM II, the Nemo has a more durable Gundarium alloy armor. As this armor is produced using the same technology as the RMS-108 Marasai (another MS from Anaheim Electronics, but supplied to the Titans), it has high profitability. Most of Nemo's armaments are the same as those used by existing MSs, and it could also use other Federation or Zeon-made armaments. The Nemo was also relatively easy to fly, even for less skilled recruits, and overall it was an excellent machine with superior performance to the GM II and RMS-106 Hizack.
- Ballute System
An atmospheric entry device designed for a multitude of Mobile Suit. When the machine enters the atmosphere, a bowl-shaped ball (balloon parachute) deploys to protect it from the heat caused by the friction of the atmospheric entry. The balloon then detaches, leaving the machine with chest and leg hover units that aid its descent to the ground. If the MS reaches the ground without expending all the fuel in the leg units, these devices can also be used for hovering and high-speed strike missions.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun: A pair of headshot weapons. Having low offensive power, used only to restrict enemy movement, and lay down a wall of suppressive fire due to their rapid fire ability.
- Beam Saber: The Beam Saber is a small device held in the hands of the MS when deployed and is powered by a rechargeable energy capacitor. It emits high-energy Minovsky particles to form a blade-like I-Field (via the manipulation of electromagnetic fields), then fills this I-field shell with superheated Minovsky particle plasma to produce an efficient cutting blade. The Nemo uses the same saber as the Rick Dias, and a pair of them are stored on the rear skirt armor, each rated at 0.4 MW.
- AE/ZIM.C-BAZ-531 300mm Clay Bazooka: The same weapon used by the Rick Dias, it was originally designed to fire sticky bullets that immobilize enemy machinery rather than destroy them. However, it could also be loaded with other types of ammunition, including conventional explosive rounds as well as basic rounds. The Bazooka Clay has 1 shot in its chamber with another 7 shots in a rechargeable magazine.
- 170mm Cannon: A successor to the 180mm cannon developed at the start of the One Year War. Although the caliber of the hull has been reduced to improve maneuverability, its range and power have been increased.
- BOWA~BR-S85-C2 Beam Rifle: A portable weapon that fires particle beams. The Nemo uses the same Beam Rifle as the RMS-179 GM II, which has a nominal power of 1.9 MW and is powered by an integrated CAP energy system. However, since Nemo has much better energy sourcing abilities, he can use the weapon more effectively.
- HWF GMG~MG79-90mm Bullpup Machine Gun: The bullpup machine gun was a system weapon developed as a dual purpose space/ground projectile weapon. Although compact, it has ample anti-MS firepower while maintaining accuracy. His muzzle velocity is increased through the use of the new powder and this allows him to easily penetrate the armor of Zeon's Mobile Suits. A box-type sensor system integrating a video camera and a laser sensor is installed at the top, and when this system is used with the MS's targeting system, the target acquisition capability is enhanced.
- BOWA BR-M-82L-9 L-9 Type Beam Rifle: A beam weapon developed from the sniper type Beam Rifle for the Guncannon. It incorporates the advantages of the BR-M-79L-3 and XBR-X-79YK, sniper fire is also possible using the bipod. Using the latest technology in energy canisters, it can only fire one shot per canister, but boasts the highest power and longest firing range under Minovsky particle dispersion. When equipped with this weapon, Nemo's head is equipped with a movable mask, similar to that of the RGM-79SP GM Sniper II, which contains an additional sensor system, this mask covers the visor of the head during the shot.
- Shield: For defense, the Nemo uses a custom shield developed using the curved surface shield of the RGM-79G GM Command as a reference. It can switch between horizontal and vertical for ease of use, and like other shields, its surface has an anti-beam coating to defend against beam-type attacks. Other features of the shield include sharp edges at the top for melee attacks and locks at the back for mounting other weapons or gear.
During the Gryps War during UC 0087, the AEUG first resorted to Mobile Suits stolen or brought in by members of the Earth Federation Forces, primarily RMS-179 GM II. However, his leadership quickly decided that the organization needed a mass-produced unit of their own to compete with the Titans' MS and show that they were a serious threat. The task of developing this new MS is assigned to Anaheim Electronics, resulting in the Nemo.
The Nemo proved to be both a capable and versatile Mobile Suit, and it saw service throughout the war. The Nemo was used in various important missions, such as the attack to capture the Federation's Salamis Kai-class cruiser, and the orbital drop to attack the Titans' base at Jaburo. As an act of camaraderie for their combined purpose, the AEUG donated a number of their Nemos to Karaba. The Nemo design was later used to develop the MSA-004 Nemo II, and also inspired another mass production MS from Anaheim Electronics, the MSA-007 Nero.
Even during UC 0096, the Nemo was still in service with the forces of the
Terran Federation, who had absorbed the AEUG and Karaba after the Gryps War. These MS have been repainted in new colors, which differ between operating locations. Almost a decade ago, the Nemo was no longer a frontline unit, but it still fought off the remnants of Zeon during their attacks on Dakar and Torrington Base.