The OZ-13MS Gundam Epyon is a Mobile Suit introduced in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing. Originally piloted by Heero Yuy, it was later given to Zechs Merquise.
Based on data from the OZ-00MS Tallgeese and the other Gundams, the Epyon Gundam was created by Treize Khushrenada while under confinement by the Romefeller Foundation. In keeping with Thirteen's philosophy, the Epyon eschews long-range loose weapons in favor of chivalrous close combat. However, when the MS becomes part of the White Fang force, a pair of Vulcan cannons are added to the head. Its primary weapons are a heat whip, mounted on a shield, and a powerful beam-type sword whose energy is supplied by a direct connection to the Epyon's generator.
Thirteen also installed a modified version of the Zero system known as the Epyon system in the cockpit, making this MS a powerful opponent. The Epyon can also transform into "Mobile Armor" mode for high-speed flight and space cruising. He resembles a mythological dragon in this mode, however, his primary weapons are inaccessible except for the Epyon claw which is also used as landing gear in this form.
Gundam Epyon EW is Hajime Katoki's redesign of Epyon in a manner similar to the other EW version of the first five Gundams and included in New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop as well as Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Endless Waltz: Glory of the Losers. He later receives additional equipment called Sturm Und Drang which can be used for both defense and attack.
- Epyon System
Thirteen had a modified version of the deadly ZERO system installed in the Epyon's cockpit. Known as the Epyon System, it functioned similarly to the ZERO System of the XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero, but the pilot wears a special helmet on his head when using the system. Any technical differences from the ZERO System are unknown. Zechs also used a modified version of this system to control the White Fang's Mobile dolls.
- Search Eyes
Mounted on the chest, it collects data that cameras and antennas cannot. Used in close combat, it is of the same type as that of the XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam.
- Mobile Armor
Mode in which the Mobile Suit transforms into some sort of mythological creature, increasing its speed in atmospheric flight, as well as its maneuverability in space.
- Beam Sword: The Epyon's primary weapon, it is connected directly to the machine's power plant via a cord rather than running on its own internal power source. This allows the length and intensity of the beam-type blade to be adjusted depending on the situation, and at maximum level it can deal damage severe enough to destroy objects as large as the space fortress bulge.
- Epyon Claw: Mounted on the forearms, they are used as landing gear in Mobile Armor mode. In combat, they can be used to tear through enemy armor.
- Epyon Shield: A small shield mounted on the left arm, its surface has been treated with an anti-beam coating to provide protection against beam-type attacks. He mounts a thermal chain at the bottom.
- Heat Rod: A segmented whip-shaped chain housed in the Epyon's shield. It can be used to grapple or entangle opponents, and even cut through Mobile Suits when heated. A single swipe with this weapon can destroy up to three OZ-06MS Leos.
- Vulcan Gun: Later added by White Fang, the two head-mounted shell-firing weapons have a high rate of fire, but little power and are generally ineffective against MS. However, they can damage lightly armored areas such as sensors and are ideal for taking down small, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small vehicles, etc.
- Sturm Und Drang: An additional piece of equipment used by Gundam Epyon after Zechs Merquise joined White Fang in the manga Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Endless Waltz: Glory of the Losers. These small wing-like devices use similar technology to the OZ-13MSX2 Mercurius' planet defensors and can be attached to the Epyon's forearms in "defense mode", generating a powerful defensive force field capable of blocking the twin buster riffle from the XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero, or attached to the sword in "Zweihander mode" to generate a massive beam blade. When using this equipment, the Epyon shield is mounted on the rear skirt armor.
- Epyon Kaiser: The Epyon Kaiser is a Mobile Suit based on the OZ-13MS Gundam Epyon appearing in an issue of Model Graphix magazine. The Epyon Kaiser is more of a silly gag than anything else, the Epyon Kaiser bears Exkaiser's face from Brave Exkaiser released in the 1990s, with the color scheme of Exkaiser's second fighting form, Dragon Kaiser . Kunio Okawara created the mechas for Exkaiser and Gundam Wing and contributed this combined design to Gundam WARS magazine for fun.
- Epyon Bai: Also known as "Nataku". It is a custom white-colored Epyon developed and piloted by Chang Wufei in New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop. He also has new weapons.
- Epyon Ares: In New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop, the Epyon was rebuilt by the Lanigreen Republic and a pair of dual-beam cannons were added to the legs (head part in MA mode). These beam cannons are usable only in AM mode and enhance the combat capabilities of this mode.
After boarding the MS, Thirteen warned Heero not to be a "winner" when piloting, meaning that victory should not be on his mind, only the fight itself. When the Romefeller Foundation launched an invasion of the Kingdom of Sanc, Heero piloted the Epyon into battle. Having not yet mastered the Zero System, however, Heero suffered a near nervous breakdown and fled the battle. Relena's brother, Zechs Merquise, arrived in the XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero after hearing about the invasion, but it was too late. Zechs and Heero then clashed with the Wing Zero and the Epyon, and fought to a stalemate. Unable to determine victory using their Zero systems, both fighters ceased. The two then swapped machines, with Heero taking the Wing Zero and Zechs taking the Epyon.
Soon after, Zechs joined the group known as the White Fang, who claimed to have been tasked with defending the colonies and became its leader. Returning to his birth name, Milliardo Peacecraft, Zechs fought against the forces of the newly unified nation of the Earth Sphere with the Epyon. Zechs piloted the Epyon against the Gundam pilots in the final battle of the war in December of AC 195. In this battle, Zechs aboard the Epyon, once again challenged Heero in Wing Zero . The two fought on and around the gigantic space station Libra.
The battle was at a stalemate as they reached the last surviving section of the Libra, which was falling toward Earth. Continuing the fight inside Libra itself, the two fought until the Epyon's left arm was severed, giving Heero a decisive victory. As Heero and his Wing Zero were about to self-destruct to destroy the rest of Libra, Zechs convinced Heero to leave and he used the Epyon to destroy the reactor that powered that section of the station. Zechs and the Epyon were presumed to have been lost in the resulting explosion.
New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Frozen Teardrop
In Mars Colony 0022 NEXT WINTER, the Epyon resurfaces, piloted once again by the leader of the Lanigreen Republic, Zechs, and engages in battle with the Epyon Bai piloted by Chang Wufei. The severed left arm was rebuilt and double beam cannons were added. We call him Epyon Ares.
Did you know?
- The Epyon's Vulcan cannons have been the subject of debate. They were used in Episode 49, when Wing Zero fired its machine guns at the Epyon, which then fired off-screen. Initially, this was thought to be an animation error as the published armament list for the Epyon did not include Vulcan cannons at that time. However, the weapon was later confirmed to be an addition that was not part of the Epyon's original weaponry.
- The Epyon transforms like the RX-139 Hambrabi.
- A custom Epyon Gunpla appears in Gundam Build Fighters episode 11 shows an allusion to the GF13-011NC Dragon Gundam in its color scheme, and has dragon claws from the Dragon Gundam mounted on its feet. Due to this latest modification, it has a more dragon-like Mobile Armor mode, and each dragon claw can shoot beams when their mouths open.