The RX-0[N] Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee Norn (aka Banshee Norn) is an upgraded variant of the RX-0 Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee that appears in the OVA version of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn . The unit is piloted by Riddhe Marcenas.
The Banshee Norn is an upgraded version of the Banshee with performance
increased, assigned to pilot Riddhe Marcenas of Londo Bell. The unit itself remains unchanged from the upgrades, with only the Armed Armor BS and VN being replaced by two new gear, the Armed Armor DE and the Armed Armor XC. The Banshee Norn's main ranged weapon is the Beam Magnum, but with a new attachment, the Revolving Launcher. In Destroy Mode, the XC Armor opens and swings up, making the Banshee Norn look like a lion.
It is a special operating system installed in the RX-0 series Mobile Suits. The name "NT-D" is supposed to be short for "Newtype Drive", but it
it is actually short for "Newtype Destroyer", a system developed to eliminate Newtypes. The system is activated when it detects an enemy psycommu machine and its Newtype or Cyber-Newtype driver. Once activated, the MS transforms into Destroy mode, which greatly improves its performance since its limiters are disabled, and allows it to hijack the enemy machine's psycommu weaponry. However, this mode places a heavy burden on the rider and the machine, and its duration is limited to five minutes. In order to reduce the load when the system is activated, the seat is designed to transform, and a special pilot suit has been prepared to reduce G-force pharmacologically.
Armed Armor XC
The Armed Armor XC (Xeno-Connect) is an add-on backpack that increases generator power while using the head antenna to detect Psycommu waves from incoming enemy MS, greatly improving pilot affinity with the machine and allows a non-Newtype driver to activate the NT-D system. The development of this equipment was closely linked to that of the Psycommu assistance system called n_i_t_r_o. The Banshee Norn backpack's Beam Sabers are stored in Armed Armor XC.
- 60mm Vulcan Gun: Basic armament equipping many MS of the Federation. While virtually ineffective against MS armor, they are useful for intercepting incoming missiles/rockets, destroying MS sensors, and engaging lightly armored vehicles.
Beam Magnum: A highly custom designed Beam Riffle with an Energy Capacitor. A single Beam Magnum shot has the same power as 4 normal Beam Riffle shots, but it consumes an entire E-pac. Each Beam Magnum magazine is loaded with 5 E-pacs, allowing a total of five shots before needing a new magazine. The Banshee Norn can carry spare magazines on its rear skirt.
- Revolving Launcher: A new attachment has been added to the Banshee Norn's Beam Magnum, reminiscent of RX-78-2 Gundam 's Super Napalm. Each barrel of the launcher contains a different weapon. A spare launcher can be stowed on the rear valance.
- Beam Jutte: Stored in the Spinning Launcher, this is a short Beam Saber designed to catch enemy Beam Sabers, allowing the pilot to quickly counter when there is no time to bring out their primary Beam Saber, or when the Banshee Norn finds himself in a delicate situation and that he has lost his Beam Saber. This is reminiscent of the function of the Beam Riffles used by the RX-78GP01 Gundam "Zephyranthes" , RX-78GP03S Gundam "Dendrobium Stamen" , etc.
- Missile BOP: A set of four small missiles that are fired from the Revolving Launcher.
- MGaAP: Armor-piercing shells that produce a blinding flash upon explosion. Four shells are fired from the rotary launcher and together they can destroy a Mobile Suit's shield.
- Microphone Hide Bomb: Many small bombs stored in a bomb box fired from the Revolving Launcher. The case shatters shortly after launch, releasing the bombs which float towards the targets and explode on impact.
- Beam Saber: The Banshee is equipped with four Beam Sabers, two on the forearms and two in the backpack. In normal mode, the EM only has access to the two forearm-mounted Beam sabers. In Destroy mode, the other two lightsabers come out of the backpack, allowing access to all four lightsabers.
- Beam Tonfa: Forearm-mounted Beam Sabers can turn around and be used directly, in this form they are known as Beam Tonfa. The Right Forearm Beam Tonfa cannot be used when the Banshee is equipped with Armed Armor BS.
- Armed Armor DE: The Armed Armor DE (Defense-Extension) is the normal I-Field equipped shield used by the Banshee with additional parts containing more psyco-frame, six thrusters (four on top and two on bottom) and a mega cannon. The Mega Cannon provides the Banshee Norn with another ranged weapon, while the Thrusters grant the MS a speed comparable to that of a Base Jabber when the Armed Armor DE is mounted on the Armed Armor XC. It can also be used as a makeshift melee weapon with significant range.
His story is the same as the RX-0 Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee , only what happens to him needs to be added.
After the Laplace Incident, Riddhe Marcenas left Audrey and Banagher to return the Banshee Norn to the Terran Federation forces. The Mobile Suit will then be kept there and sealed so that no one can awaken the potential of the machine.
Did you know?
- "Norn" is an extinct North Germanic language. In Norse mythology, Norn also designates one of the many female beings who govern the destiny of gods and men, like the Moirai of Greek mythology.
- The Banshee Norn is the closest form of Banshee from the anime to the Banshee seen in the novel, which has the same weaponry as the Unicorn Gundam.