The X-EX01 Gundam Calibarn (X-EX01ガンダムキャリバーンX-EX01
Gandamu Kyaribān?) is a Mobile Suit introduced in Mobile Suit Gundam the Witch from Mercury. It is piloted by the series' protagonist, Suletta Mercury.
Unlike other Gundam-type Mobile Suits, the Calibarn does not have filters to reduce the feedback from the GUND Format embolisms. However, he is able to maintain a higher Allows score with the same Allows amount.
- Shell Unit
A control terminal that allows the transmission and processing of large amounts of information between the driver and the machine. It emits light when the operating level of the FORMAT GUND reaches a fixed intensity, for example when using GUND-BITs. Working with Allows scores of up to 5 emits red light, while Allows scores of 6 and above emit blue light.
- Bit on Form
By connecting the Bit Staves to hard points throughout the machine, not only is it possible to quickly replenish electrical energy and propellant to the Bits, but it also improves the mobility and defensive performance of the Mobile Suit itself.
- Beam Vulcan: Two firing ports are built on the front. These are fast-firing, low-power beam weapons used to slow enemy movements, damage equipment, etc.
- Escutcheon: A multi-purpose offensive and defensive platform consisting of a next-generation remotely controlled weapons system known as "GUND-BIT", which uses the GUND FORMAT to organically link humans and machines. It has anti-beam properties.
- Bit Stave: Each Bit (Bit Stave) can be detached to be used as a mobile turret with integrated cannons or as a shield.
- Variable Rod Rifle: A long, portable weapon and the Calibarn's primary weapon. On its rear is a propulsion unit consisting of four Quadra thrusters, which can also be used to propel the Calibarn itself.
- Beam Saber: A close combat weapon that shoots out a beam blade by linking with the hilt sensors. The bracket rotates forward as it comes out of the mounting bracket at the rear
A Gundam-type Mobile Suit developed in competition with the XGF-02 Gundam Lfrith, the machine's lack of features to ensure the
Safety of the GUND format pilot meant that the Lfrith was ultimately chosen as Och Earth's primary Gundam, and all development files for the Calibarn were deleted afterward. The Calibarn was later seized by the Space Assembly League during the Vanadis Incident, where it was called a "monster" due to its deadly characteristics.
The Calibarn will be piloted by Suletta Mercury to confront Ericht Samaya and Prospera Mercury, who planned to use Quiet Zero to take control of the Earth Sphere. After the Space Assembly League's interplanetary laser transmission system heavily damages the Gundam Aerial Rebuild, Suletta, along with Ericht, commands the GUND Bits with the Calibarn, but also takes control of the Gundam Pharact and Gundam Schwarzette to create an embolism of data powerful enough to remotely turn off the interplanetary laser. The resulting data storm will eventually
disintegrate all nearby machines using the GUND format, including the Calibarn.
Did you know?
- The name Calibarn refers to Caliban (a half-monster enslaved to Prospero) in Shakespeare's The Tempest and to the legendary sword Caliburn from Arthurian legends.
- The EX in its model number, combined with its name, is likely a reference to the most famous sword in Arthurian legend, Excalibur.