The XXXG-01S Shenlong Gundam (aka Shenlong, Nataku, or Gundam Zero-
Five) is a Mobile Suit introduced in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing and piloted by Chang Wufei.
The Shenlong Gundam is built by Master O of Colonies L5. Reflecting Master O's philosophy of specializing in machine drive systems, the Shenlong excels in close combat and has great agility. Because of this, it has the highest level of combat ability of the five Gundams, with the range of its joints giving enough movement to replicate Chinese martial arts. Its main weaponry consisted of head-mounted Vulcans, a Chinese/Japanese-style "Beam Glaive", a shield on the left arm, and a Chinese-inspired "Dragon Fang" on the front. -right arm.
- Self-destruct system
Like other Gundams, the Shenlong was built to self-destruct if the pilot so chooses. A remote detonator is placed in the cockpit and if a serious situation happens, the pilot can destroy the Gundam. The system was designed to overload its power systems and has enough explosive power to destroy several city blocks. This is a last option tactic if the pilot is unable to protect the Gundam, without letting it fall into enemy hands. It can also be used as a large explosive device to wipe out large targets.
- Fighting Sight
A unique sensor system installed in the shoulders and chest. During combat, it instantly calculates an opponent's precise position, movement and weak points.
- Vulcan Gun: A pair of headshot weapons. Of low offensive power, used only to restrict enemy movement, and lay down a wall of suppressive fire due to their rapid fire capability.
- Beam Glaive: The Shenlong Gundam's main weapon in close combat. This naginata-like weapon is stored in the back of the Gundam when not in use. The beam-like blade at its tip can pierce its target's weak spots with surgical precision.
- Dragon Fang: A claw-type weapon shaped like a dragon's head, it is mounted on the right forearm and swings forward when used. The Dragon Fang can be extended for mid-range combat as the right arm has additional segments folded into the shoulder. It is often used to crush enemies and mounts a pair of flamethrowers, adding to the dragon motif.
- Flamethrowers: Built into the sides of the dragon's fangs, the two flamethrowers are short to medium range weapons. They can be used as part of the deadly "Dragon Fang Fire" attack, in which the Shenlong Gundam grabs its target with the Dragon Fang, then fires its flamethrowers, melting the enemy's armor.
- Shenlong Shield: The compact and minimalist design of this shield attests to the melee type of this MS. It can also be thrown, thus acting as an offensive weapon.
- Beam Cannon: A large, long cannon, originally used by the OZ-12 MS Taurus. It fires a powerful beam capable of destroying Gundamium's armor.
- Beam Saber: A beam-type melee weapon, it will be used in the manga "Episode Zero" as it was his only remaining weapon.
- Dober Gun: A weapon borrowed from Meilan Long's Tallgeese Zi-Long, this is a precise and powerful protean long weapon. This powerful weapon is powered by a cable and has tremendous recoil when fired.
The Shenlong Gundam was designed and built by Master O in Colony Cluster L5. As the Shenlong Gundam was nearing completion, Meilan Long, who was Wufei's wife and had taken the name "Nataku", left for Tallgeese Zi-Long when the colony was attacked. Unfortunately, the ensuing battle took its toll on Nataku, who later died in Wufei's arms. His death caused Wufei to take on the role of piloting the Shenlong against the United Earth Sphere Alliance and OZ. Throughout the conflict, Wufei affectionately called the Shenlong Gundam "Nataku" in homage to his deceased wife.
After entering Earth during Operation Meteor in April, AC 195, Wufei used the Shenlong to attack OZ naval forces around China and India, moving south to attack the base of Lake Victoria in Africa. Wufei continued to attack the OZ bases with the Shenlong, and discovered a plot by the OZ officials to leak the location of a secret meeting of the leaders of the United Earth Sphere Alliance, and to deceive the Gundams by assassinating them.
Unfortunately, Wufei and his Shenlong arrived in New Edwards too late
to warn the other Gundam pilots of OZ's betrayal. Heero Yuy mistakenly killed several members of the Dovist Alliance faction using his XXXG-01W Wing Gundam, allowing the Warhawks to take control. In the aftermath, Wufei decided that the quickest way to end hostilities was to kill OZ's leader, Thirteen Khushrenada, and attacked his fleet using the Shenlong. Thirteen challenged Wufei to a sword duel, outside of a Mobile Suit, which Wufei accepted. Wufei was defeated, but Thirteen spared his life due to his bravery in accepting this duel. Wufei then escaped into the sea in the Shenlong, with doubts in his mind about his own strength. Returning to Asia, Wufei helped the local guerrillas fight against OZ with his Shenlong and eventually regained his self-confidence.
As the war in the colonies began to escalate, Wufei teamed up with Duo Maxwell and Quatre Raberba Winner to attack a spaceport in Singapore and return to space. The Shenlong, which was designed for combat on Earth, fared well in space, and the multiple sorties took their toll on the Gundam. The Shenlong was ultimately deactivated when Wufei attacked the OZ moon base. Wufei was taken prisoner, but the Shenlong was secretly upgraded by the five Gundam scientists, who were also captive there, into XXXG-01S2 Altron Gundam.
Did you know?
- The initial design of the Shenlong Gundam was to follow the nationality trend of Mobile Fighter G Gundam. The design of the Shenlong Gundam was "Chinese" and was based on the GF13-011NC Dragon Gundam.
- “Shenlong” literally means “dragon god” in Chinese.
- The Shenlong Gundam is the only Gundam of the original five that does not feature collarbone-mounted weapons such as missiles or machine guns.
- The dragon and flame motifs may be a reference to Nezha, a Chinese war god. This can be seen further when he is called Nataku, which is one of his names in the Japanese language.