The ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom Gundam is the successor to the ZGMF-X10A Freedom Gundam , introduced in the Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny series. Its pilot is Kira Yamato .
A Mobile Suit tailored to Kira Yamato's needs, the Strike Freedom features Phase Shift armor, and like its predecessor, the ZGMF-X10A Freedom Gundam, is primarily armed with powerful ranged weapons. It is powered by the new Hyper-Deuterion engine, and is also equipped with the Neutron Jammer Canceller and the "Voiture Lumiere" propulsion system.
Due to Kira's skill at piloting, his machine is rarely hit during combat and so the design of the Strike Freedom emphasizes maneuverability more than the defensive capabilities of his armor, although beam shields have been fitted. as a compensatory defense measure. As a result, his armor is split into smaller pieces to improve joint range of motion (a similar armor splitting system was also implemented on the ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam). To compensate for the exposure of its internal parts, the MS's skeleton and internal joints adopted Phase Shift armor materials. When these pieces change phase, they gain strength and flexibility. In addition, excess residual energy in the body can be evacuated by the light effects of the joints.
The PS internal armor materials also help resist the massive production and Gs caused by the Hyper Deuterion engine and new propulsion system, playing a role in Strike Freedom's increased mobility. However, the mobile weapon wings, which can be deployed in "High Mobility Aerial Tactics (HiMAT)" mode to improve the mobility of the MS in the atmosphere or in space, are the main mobility factor of the MS. The wings also feature a variant of the "Voiture Lumiere" propulsion system, which can generate a visual effect called the "Wings of the Skies" (Wings of the Skies) similar to the ZGMF-X42S Destiny Wings of Light and is used as a medium. of high-speed movement.
Strike Freedom's Super DRAGOONs are based on ZAFT's second-generation DRAGOON system, with other unique modifications. Designed for Kira's use, they allow him to hit more targets at once using the Multi Lock-On system and Full Burst mode compared to the original Freedom. They also grant Kira the ability to strike the enemy in multiple directions from a distance. Like the Freedom, Strike Freedom is designed to work with another MS, in this case the ZGMF-X19A Infinite Justice Gundam and is stationed aboard the Eternal warship. It also has full atmospheric flight capabilities and can dock with the METEOR unit to increase its firepower.
- High-Mobility Aerial Tactics Mode (HiMAT)
Is the atmospheric flight configuration of the Freedom Gundam, in which its wings are unfolded for greater maneuverability. The Freedom Gundam is able to fly even in normal mode, but this form is better suited for dogfights. HiMAT mode can also be used in space, which enhances the Freedom Gundam's AMBAC capabilities.
- Multi Lock-On System
As its name suggests, this unique system allows the Freedom to target multiple enemies and attack them simultaneously. To effectively use this system, the pilot must have a high spatial awareness capability, which is rare even among Coordinators . This system can also be used when the Freedom is docked to the METEOR unit.
- Full Burst Mode
The name of the attack mode in which the Strike Freedom uses its Beam Rifle, DRAGOON, railguns and Multi-Phase Beam Cannon simultaneously. This mode is also present in the original Freedom and is often used with the Multi Lock-On System to destroy a large amount of enemy units at once. Thanks to the DRAGOONs, the Strike Freedom's Full Burst mode has a greater firing range than the Freedom, giving it a full 360 degree attack range. However, on Earth, DRAGOONs are not usable, making Strike Freedom's Full Burst mode similar to Freedom's.
- "Car Light" Propulsion System
A combat variant of the "Voiture Lumiere" propulsion system is mounted in the wings of Strike Freedom. Unlike the Light Car used by the GSX-401FW Stargazer Gundam, this combat variant uses an internal laser, instead of solar winds or an external power beam, and converts its energy into strong light pressure which is then used like thrust. It can be used even when the DRAGOON Pods are still attached to the wings, by slightly separating the DRAGOON from the main wings, without fully deploying them. The system of
- Hyper Deuterion Engine
Like the other new Gundams, the Strike Freedom is powered by a Hyper-Deuterion Engine, a hybrid of the Nuclear Reactor with the Deuterion Beam Energy Transfer System. This means that the MS is nuclear powered and has sufficient power to use the METEOR unit.
- Neutron Jammer Canceller
As with the other four ZGMF-X series Gundam units produced during this period, the Strike Freedom is equipped with a Neutron Jammer Canceller (N-Jammer Canceller) device, which neutralizes the effects of ubiquitous neutron jammers and allows to these MS to be fed by nuclear reactors to use a nuclear fission reactor supplying in addition the Hyper Deuterion Engine. This gives them almost unlimited combat stamina, even with Phase Shift armor enabled.
- Operating System
The Freedom uses the Generation Unsbdued Nuclear Drive Assault Mode complex operating system.
- Variable Phase Shift Armor
An upgraded version of Phase Shift Armor, VPS Armor is able to automatically change its strength, as well as color and power consumption in the field, though this must be programmed beforehand.
- METEOR Unit
Like its predecessor, the Freedom, the Strike Freedom can dock with the METEOR unit, a large mobile weapons platform with powerful thrusters and an even more powerful weapon of battleship-caliber beam cannons, large beam swords and dozens of heavy missile launchers.
- MMI-GAU27D 31mm CIWS: Head-mounted, the two CIWS cannons are short-range weapons for intercepting missiles and enemy units. Originally, the CIWS was supposed to be omitted due to lack of space in the head unit. However, they are installed late due to their efficiency and reliability.
- MGX-2235 "Calidus" Multi-Phase Beam Cannon: Mounted on the abdomen, it is the same type of large caliber beam cannon used by the ZGMF-X31S Abyss Gundam. However, since it is now powered by the Strike Freedom's Hyper-Deuterion Engine, it has higher firepower and rapid fire capability. The barrel is protected by Phase Shift armor. The beam fired from this cannon is the strongest of the MS's armament, capable of negating the Destiny's cannon attack.
- MX200 Beam Shield: Generated by the Forearm Beam Shield Generators, the two Beam Shields can effectively block most ray and physical type attacks. It is an upgraded version of the Hyperion Gundams' single-phase lightwave shield, and their strong defensive power costs a lot of energy. However, the Strike Freedom can use them without any problems thanks to the massive output of its Hyper-Deuterion Engine.
- MA-M02G "Super Lacerta" Beam Saber: The primary close combat weapon of the MS, a pair are stored on "Xiphias 3" Railguns. They are also used by Infinite Justice and are upgraded versions of those used by Justice and Freedom. Both sabers can be combined into a double-edged saber, and this form is known as the "Ambidextrous Halberd". Kira, however, prefers wielding dual sabers, given its ease in executing high-speed attacks.
- MMI-M15E "Xiphias 3" Railgun: The Mobile Suit's two waist-mounted "Xiphias 3" railguns are an upgraded version of the original Freedom's "Xiphias" railguns, they are more powerful and have a simplified structure. Like its predecessor, the "Xiphias 3" can also be used to attack enemy units in the water, giving the Strike Freedom a very effective means of combating enemy units underwater. However, machine guns cannot be used when replaced at the rear of the waist to make room for stowing the high MA-M21KF Beam Rifles.
- MA-M21KF High Energy Beam Rifle: Developed on the basis of the Freedom Gundam's MA-M20 "Lupus" Beam Rifle, the two MA-M21KF high-energy beam rifles can combine to form a single long-range rifle, in a manner similar to that of the main weapons of the GAT-X103 Buster Gundam. Thus, beams can be used to hit enemy units in various ranges and Kira's habit of taking out multiple targets at once is enhanced by using two beam rifles instead of one. Rifles are stowed on the sides of the waist and can swing out to the rear when "Xiphias 3" railguns are used.
- EQFU-3X Super DRAGOON Mobile Weapon Wing & MA-80V Assault Cannon: The EQFU-3X Super DRAGOON Mobile Weapon Wing is a compound piece of equipment that functions as both a weapons platform and a high-thrust thruster. It produces a blue wing effect during high-speed maneuvers due to the installation of the "Voiture Lumiere" propulsion system. Each wing stores a Super DRAGOON, a guided wireless weapon module armed with a beam assault cannon that can fire beams for ranged combat or emit a beam blade for close combat. These Super DRAGOONs are based on ZAFT 's second-generation DRAGOON system, which does not require pilots to have high spatial awareness to effectively control them through the use of an enhanced quantum communication system, among other improvements. Other unique modifications have also been added, and due to the huge amount of data processing required, the Super DRAGOON can only perform to its full potential when used by the Coordinator . ultimate, Kira Yamato. The Super DRAGOON can be used in group formations for multiple barrages, or used with other MS weapons to shoot down enemy ships or Mobile Suits.
A direct successor to the ZGMF-X10A Freedom Gundam, the Strike Freedom was originally developed by ZAFT as a prototype machine for a
possible mass production. The development itself, which had started in the same time frame as its predecessor, was behind schedule and could not be completed in time due to technical limitations in the development of the DRAGOON system. Also, its development was influenced by the Treaty of Junius, and the data regarding the unit's existing development had to be sealed. However, the incomplete unit, or possibly the design data, was stolen by the Clyne Faction, or its ally Terminal, who also deleted the data from the ZAFT Integrated Design Bureau servers. The redevelopment of the Strike Freedom was then carried out by Terminal/Clyne Faction, based on operational data from the Freedom and incorporating the latest MS technology from ZAFT's Second Stage Series units. In fact, the Strike Freedom was redesigned and modified knowing that it would become Kira Yamato's personal machine.
The Strike Freedom made its debut in the latter parts of the Second Alliance-PLANT War, when Kira boarded the Eternal in a damaged MBF-02 Strike Rouge after coming to the aid of Andrew Waltfeld's ZGMF-X88S Gaia Gundam . He then embarked on Strike Freedom to defend the ship against ZAFT forces. Kira, with the Strike Freedom, managed to deactivate 25 ZGMF-1000 ZAKU Warrior and ZGMF-2000 GOUF Ignited in two minutes, then proceeded to decommission three Nazca class.
When he arrived on Earth with the ZGMF-X19A Infinite Justice Gundam (piloted by Lacus Clyne, delivered for Asran Zala's use), he immediately fought the ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam, piloted by Shinn Asuka, breaking his duel with the ORB-01 Akatsuki Gundam (piloted by Kira's twin sister, Cagalli Yula Athha). The initial clash between the two MSs allowed Strike Freedom to gain the upper hand, as Shinn's Boomerangs and Beam Saber were destroyed and his energy supply was nearly depleted. Destiny was forced to retreat when Rey Za Burrel ordered Shinn Asuka to return to the LHM-BB01 Minerva to resupply.
The Destiny then returned to the battlefield, accompanied by Rey's ZGMF-X666S Legend Gundam, to battle the Strike Freedom again. At one point, Kira had a chance to destroy Destiny after the Strike Freedom kicked the MS ZAFT. But together, the two units were ultimately able to put Strike Freedom on the defensive and gave Destiny the opportunity to destroy Strike Freedom. Asran in the Infinite Justice Gundam arrived on the scene just then, stopping the attack as well as being shorthanded. For the remainder of this battle, which did not last long, the Strike Freedom engaged the Legend in a skirmish, in which neither gained an advantage nor damaged the other, because Kira was in a state of shock. following the discovery of the "true" identity of Rey Za Barrel.
At the climax of the Second Alliance-PLANT War, the Strike Freedom and the Infinite Justice, both equipped with the METEOR mobile weapons platform, destroyed a major relay station, which was to be
Did you know?
- The Strike Freedom Gundam was originally called "Super Freedom Gundam" but the name was later changed.
- The Strike Freedom is the only unit used by Kira that has never taken damage since debut.
- When the Strike Freedom was shown in the 3rd opening animation, its head crest displayed the words "Liberta Modifica", or "Modified Freedom" in Italian. From episode 39, the words were changed to "X-20A VENTI", meaning "Twenty" in Italian, a reference to the serial number.
- In Episode 39, when the Strike Freedom first activated Full Burst mode, the scene showing the attack hitting the multiple ZAKUs and GOUFs depicted only green beams from the DRAGOONs and Strike's beam rifles. Freedom. The HD Remaster fixed the issue by correctly showing Beam Cannon and Railgun attacks.
- In the anime, both Beam Rifles change color after VPS Armor is activated, indicating that they may have been equipped with VPS Armor. However, this feature has not been documented in any data or kit manuals.
- The Super DRAGOON's Beam Blade feature is animated for the first time in Gundam Build Divers Battlogue.